Kokum (Garcinia Indica) fruit is widely used in Konkani and South Indian food. Mostly it is used as a souring agent in food items (same as Tamarind). Kokum sharbat is a drink that has cooling properties when consumed.
- Kokum – 100 gms
- Sugar – 4-5 tbsp (can be adjusted to taste)
- Black Salt – Adjust to taste
- Black Pepper Powder – Adjust to taste
- Roasted Cumin Powder – Adjust to taste
- Mint Leaves – For garnishing
Method of Preparation:
- Soak kokum in water for 20-25 mins.
- Blend soaked kokum and sugar along with 1/4th cup of water till fine paste.
- Strain if the paste is not fine. For me, it was a very fine paste. So straining was not required.
- Then add 1/2 tsp of black salt, 1/2 tsp of black pepper powder, 1/2 tsp of freshly ground roasted cumin. Quantity of these items can be adjusted to taste.
- Pour 1-2 tbsp of this concentrate in to serving glass. Add chilled water to it.
- Garnish with fresh mint leaves.
- Serve chilled.
Note: This concentrate can be stored in refrigerator for almost over a week.
Please try the recipe and let me know your feedback and suggestions.