Gond or Edible Gum (Tragacanth Gum) has medicinal properties in relieving joint related pain. Laddus (small roundels) made with Gond and Saunth (dried ginger powder) is generally given to new moms in order to relive body and joint pain. However this laddu can be prepared and had by everybody during cold weather to get rid of joint pain.
- Whole wheat flour – 1 cup
- Gond – 1/4th cup
- Raisin – 1 1/2 fistful
- Dried ginger powder – 1/4th cup
- Jaggery powder – 1 1/2 cup
- Ghee – 2 Tbsp (can be taken more, but I like it to be less)
Any dry fruit of your choice can be added.
Method of Preparation:
- Place a frying pan or kadhai (preferably nonstick) on low flame.
- Put 1 tbsp of ghee on it.
- Once the ghee starts melting, add in half of the gond in to it. The gond will start to puff up. Fry it over low flame, else the gond will become brown from outside and not be cooked properly.
- After the first batch of gond is fried properly, take it out on a plate and fry the remaining half. We are frying in two batches in order to allow the gond to puff up properly. It will look like the below image after frying.
- Now add in the raisins to the remaining ghee in the pan and roast. Take those out once they start swelling.
- Now add remaining ghee in the pan and also the wheat flour to it.Roast the flour till it becomes brown and then take out on a plate.
- Then add the dried ginger powder to the pan and saute for few seconds. Now take this out in another bowl.
- Now add the jaggery powder to the pan and let it melt on a low flame.
- In the mean time, grind the raisins to a coarse paste and pound the fried gond to a coarse powder.
- After the jaggery is melted completely, add the roasted flour, ginger powder, raisin paste, gond powder to it and mix properly. Keep the flame low.
- Once everything is mixed properly, take small amount of it and roll to round shaped laddus with the help of both the palms. Be careful as the mix will be hot. Also roll it when it’s hot/warm, else it will be difficult to bind the mixture.
In my case, I could not make perfect rounds as the mixture was hot and took pics like this only. 🙂
Please try it out and pour in your suggestion and feedback.