This dish can be prepared in a jiffy without much hassle.
- Egg plant (bottle shaped big one) -1
- Raw peanut – 10 to 12
- Vadi – 7 to 8
- Ginger paste – 1 Tsp
- Curry leaf – 5 to 6
- Panch Phutan – 1 Tsp
- Turmeric powder – 1 Tsp
- Red chilli powder – 2 Tsp
- Asafoetida – a pinch
- Salt – according to taste
- Cooking oil – 2 Tsp
Method of Preparation:
- Cut the egg plant lengthwise into two. Boil this in pressure cooker with little salt for one whistle over medium flame. After done, mash it and keep aside. (The egg plant can also be charred, by directly keeping it over flame. Many swear by the taste of it. However I personally do not like the burnt smell. So I go by boiling.)
- Heat a pan and put 2 tsp of oil on to it. Once oil is hot enough, add the panch phutan. Once those start crackling, add asafoetida, curry leaf, raw peanut and vadi. Roast all these nicely.
- Once done, add the mashed egg plant, ginger paste, salt, turmeric and red chilli powder. Mix everything together and cook on medium flame for 5-8 minutes.
- Now our baigan bharta without onion and garlic is ready to be served. It goes well with rice/roti/paratha.